Prophet731

Offering Hosting Services for MySQL & BFACP? Procon?

Prophet731

As of 4/25/2020, this is still active. 

Message added by Prophet731

Hosting Poll  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi All,

So I've been thinking about doing something like this for a while but I always talked myself out of it. I want to get some feedback on this idea and how many would think about using it if it was offered.

In the past I know how hard it was for some users to get a MySQL database going and running the BFACP (since it's a bit requirement heavy in some cases). What I would be doing is offering to manage both of these for you.

If enough interest was shown in something like this I would definitely think about doing it. Of course, I also know the risks I would be taking in something like this, but to list what I would be offering I guess is this.

• MySQL Hosting
    • Daily backups of the database to a remote site & option to download it yourself.
    • No limit on how big your database can be (within reason).
    • Able to bring over your current database
  • BFACP Hosting (If running AdKats on your layers)
    • This would run the newest version (v3.0)
    • Will still be available to run on your own hardware
    • Will have extra features that are not available for an open source setup (still need to think of good things ;))
    • Able to use your own domain name with the proper DNS setup.
    • Free SSL Certificate
  • Both Above
  • Premium Feature Ideas (01/23/2020)
    • Machine Learning of your data to help predict certain events or trends. (Think best time to populate a server based on past data.)
    • TBD...

Please let me know what you think of this idea and vote in the poll. Again not confirming anything like this will happen but if I get enough interest from the community for something like this then please let me know.

Disclaimer: This will NOT be something affiliated with MyRCON but will be ran through it in terms of a payment processor.

EDIT: 01/16/2020

Something I also thought about doing along with this is procon hosting too but would need to figure that part out. 

EDIT: 01/23/2020

I've added a poll question for how much this service would be priced in. This would help me gauge what would be an appropriate range for this service. I've also added something that could be a premium feature.

Edited by Prophet731
Updated poll & post

The developer of the Battlefield Admin Control Panel (BFACP)

For BFACP support please post in the BFACP topic linked above.

Do not contact me via PM on the forums for help with procon. Please make a topic for it. Only PM's I will accept will revolve around any website issues.

Air VPN - The air to breathe the real Internet

i would 100% use it and ditch my provider since you guys would be focused in hosting services for THE GAME and not general hosting + you know all what we need and we won't be needing to write tickets to open ports... change php versions etc...

@wizz3 use your own webserver and then you would not have those problems... Decent web space providers like contabo or 1&1 allow you to change all those settings without any problems in their web interface?

Just my view: I would not use 3rd party hosting, because GDPR disallows it for me. At least the part with the IP addresses would be a problem for me... (At least for me as an EU citizen)

Edited by Hedius
fix typo and add content

I would rent the service.
Also perfect that it's self hostable as well so everyone should be lucky with it.

[mention=233]wizz3[/mention] use your own webserver and then you would not have those problems... Decent web space providers like contabo or 1&1 allow you to change all those settings without any problems in their web interface?

Just my view: I would not use 3rd party hosting, because GDPR disallows it for me. At least the part with the IP addresses would be a problem for me... (At least for me as an EU citizen)
It wouldn't prevent you, as long as the service is GDPR compliment you should be fine. Which it would have to be, especially since I live in California so I have to also be compliment with the newly passed bill (CC0A). Which is far more stricter. That's as far as the service goes.

For your side you would also need to be compliment, since you would deal with ip addresses.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Do not contact me via PM on the forums for help with procon. Please make a topic for it. Only PM's I will accept will revolve around any website issues.

Something I also thought about doing along with this is procon hosting too but would need to figure that part out. 

MERGE:

Added a 2nd poll question regarding the procon part.

I would use depending on the cost.

I am running adkats and the web page (http://tyger07.github.io/BF4-Server-Stats/_ for killer stats plug in.

The database and web page is currently running on my NAS.

I also looked at installing BFACP but no luck on my NAS.

Have tried to also get in running on google cloud services, but out of depth.  

Hence would love you to host and keep updated.

On 1/17/2020 at 1:25 AM, Skepmeister said:

I would use depending on the cost.

I am running adkats and the web page (http://tyger07.github.io/BF4-Server-Stats/_ for killer stats plug in.

The database and web page is currently running on my NAS.

I also looked at installing BFACP but no luck on my NAS.

Have tried to also get in running on google cloud services, but out of depth.  

Hence would love you to host and keep updated.

I would still need to figure out the cost factor and what's fair. Considering it would be a managed service and would technically offer a bit more than a standard web hosting service would for cheap. Things that would need your own VPS for and sometimes from a very specific provider. I can tell you a price range though I am thinking about. Somewhere between $5 - $30 USD, depending on what you would need of course. 

Updated topic with new poll question and feature idea. See notes for 01/23/2020.

when it comes to php and linux/ubuntu i know nothing i have had many problems with pear auto installing php 7 and no being able to disable it so for people like me that cant get it running it would be worth paying for

I've adjusted poll settings to allow for re-votes.

So far, 14 people have voted. Mostly positive on building a service. I still would like more input as this would be a big undertaking to build properly.