Vote Ban

ImportBot

Originally Posted by Mandizzy*:

Found a bug ;-)

If a vote is in progress and the guy leaves/gets kicked out in the middle of it, the voting thing goes into a spiral. Also if an admin intervenes and bans the player - the voteban keeps going. Sometimes, it gets stuck altogether and keeps repeating "Server XX more Yes votes needed to ban xxxxxx...".

I think you need to add an additional hook into procon to monitor playerLeave messages. If a playerLeave name matches the vote in progress, it should automatically cancel the votekick/ban. That should resolve this issue.

Now some feature requests:

1. Based on badlizz's comment - can you put in a player threshold perhaps so voteban is disabled if there's less players than the threshold. And optionally display a message why voteban/kick is not working.

2. There are some douchebags who would initiate a voteban/kick on themselves just to get a kick or simply troll. Can you also put in something to prevent initiating a vote on themselves or perhaps (optionally) kick them off the server right away with a smart ass message ;-) to teach them.

* Restored post. It could be that the author is no longer active.
  • Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted by TimSad*:

Those bugs that you mentioned I had been aware of. I had all the outcome possibilities stuck in my head. I just kinda stopped working on this plugin and moved on to other things. I'm aware that they could leave before the vote ban succeeds and avoid getting banned. I may release a hot fix to keep the vote going and track the GUID of the person and actually ban the person even if they leave. I know it's a semi-major issue, sorry!

Originally Posted by Papa-schulz*:

Found a bug ;-)

If a vote is in progress and the guy leaves/gets kicked out in the middle of it, the voting thing goes into a spiral. Also if an admin intervenes and bans the player - the voteban keeps going. Sometimes, it gets stuck altogether and keeps repeating "Server XX more Yes votes needed to ban xxxxxx...".

Hello, my to i ave this bug, plz help is spam the tchat box

Hello, my to i ave this bug, plz help is spam the tchat box

It should only last as long as you have the vote ban/kick duration set to (3 by default settings). Is it going on continuously? I haven't seen this happen for me.

I think that using System.Timers in a Procon plugin is kinda iffy. It's as if sometimes the elapsed event is not triggered which would keep the vote going at times. That means it has nothing to do with the player leaving.

The reason I've come to this conclusion is that another plugin that I have running uses System.Timers and gets stuck in a loop sometimes and the only way to resolve it is to restart the Procon Layer. If I find time, I'll see if there's anything I can do about it.

Yeah, it seems that there is a bug with System.Timers... There is a Timer that I have that is triggered once to end the vote and to end the progress display of the vote (carried out by a second Timer) as well...

Code:

private void OnVoteInProgressEnd(object source, ElapsedEventArgs e)
{
  if (voteType == "ban")
  {
    this.ExecuteCommand("procon.protected.send", "admin.say", "The vote to ban " + votedVictim + " has expired!", "all");
    this.ExecuteCommand("procon.protected.send", "admin.say", "The summary of the vote was - Yes Votes: " + yesVotes + " No Votes: " + noVotes, "all");

for (int i = 0; i < playerBeingVoted.Count; i++)
    {
      if (playerBeingVoted[i] == votedVictim)
        playerBeingVotedCount[i] = 0;
    }
  }
  else if (voteType == "kick")
  {
    this.ExecuteCommand("procon.protected.send", "admin.say", "The vote to kick " + votedVictim + " has expired!", "all");
    this.ExecuteCommand("procon.protected.send", "admin.say", "The summary of the vote was - Yes Votes: " + yesVotes + " No Votes: " + noVotes, "all");

for (int i = 0; i < playerBeingVoted.Count; i++)
    {
      if (playerBeingVoted[i] == votedVictim)
        playerBeingVotedCount[i] = 0;
    }
  }

yesVotes = 0;
  noVotes = 0;
  alreadyVoted.Clear();
  this.voteInProgress.Enabled = false;
  this.voteProgressDisplay.Enabled = false;
  voteIsInProgress = false;
}
So, when the vote in progress ends, triggering that event, it disables the Timer that has that event as an elapsed event (this.voteInProgress.Enabled = false;) and also disables the Timer that has the Vote Progress Display as an elapsed event (this.voteProgressDisplay.Enabled = false;). That event is defined as such...

Code:

private void OnVoteProgressDisplay(object source, ElapsedEventArgs e)
{
  this.ExecuteCommand("procon.protected.send", "admin.say", "Vote Progress - Yes Votes: " + yesVotes + " No Votes: " + noVotes, "all");
  this.ExecuteCommand("procon.protected.send", "admin.say", (yesVotesNeeded - yesVotes).ToString() + " more Yes votes needed to " + voteType + " " + votedVictim + "...", "all");
}
My guess as to why this Vote Progress Display and Vote End message gets stuck in a loop for you guys sometimes is this... When the vote ends and the timers are disabled, for some reason System.Timers bugs out and doesn't actually disable them. Perhaps it is because it somehow lost the Timer object and the execution of disabling the Timer does nothing. I guess another possibility is that System.Timers doesn't always work without fault in a Procon plugin.

So, the only thing you guys can do when this bug occurs is restart your Procon Layer. I wish there was something that I could do to fix it but it seems that it's out of my hands. Sorry! :sad:

• 1 month later...

Updated!

1.2.0 (03/29/2012)

• now bans Vote Ban victims (upon Vote Ban succession) that leave the server before the vote succeeds
  • makes use of the now functioning admin.yell command for a few of the major messages

Originally Posted by pyroblood*:

Is there a way to change the vote option !yes and !no for example to !y or !n, because when i use ingame admin to kick or kill a player, i must confirm the kick or kill with !yes or !no. when i confirm the player was kicked or killed, but in chat comes a message: there is no votingprogress.......

thx and syr for my english ^^

Is there a way to change the vote option !yes and !no for example to !y or !n, because when i use ingame admin to kick or kill a player, i must confirm the kick or kill with !yes or !no. when i confirm the player was kicked or killed, but in chat comes a message: there is no votingprogress.......

thx and syr for my english ^^

Yep! Change the commands in the "In-Game Commands" settings of the plugin. I became aware of this conflict a while ago and it is an easy fix but I just forgot to implement it in that last update. Sorry! :sad:

My solution is to have it not display that message only when admins type !yes or !no. Does that sound like a good solution to you? Any input about anything with this plugin is welcome. Thanks! :smile:

Originally Posted by EBassie*:

Hi Timsad,

For our servers I changed some lines to be yelled instead of spamming the chat.

As Yelling is not so intrusive as it is in BC2 (better position), I changed the votingprogress to be yelled.

This way it won't spam the chat and more players will see it.

In the chat is usually a discussion going on why the vote was put in progress.

Now the progress information won't interfere with that discussion

So all progress lines are now yelled. The other ones are still say.

I also use:

"@vote no" & "@vote yes" for casting the votes, so it don't mess with other plugins. :ohmy:

(also I've seen this as default on many other servers)

That sounds reasonable. Perhaps I should have another plugin setting being an array of all the messages throughout each voting process and let the admins decide whether they want to admin.yell or admin.say them. Then, in that case, I could just let the admin change each message. The thing about it is that there are a whopping 30 different messages and some of them triggered in multiple other cases.

Originally Posted by EBassie*:

I only changed the following line numbers to yell:

703, 714, 733, 734, 913, 940, 971, 998.

Those lines are only telling the players the vote is in progress and what the vote standing is.

All others remained as they were.

Will this work on a BC2 server as well, or is it only for BF3?

I was wondering the same thing. I only started developing plugins during BF3. I think that the events that I use (and their parameters passed) are all supported in BC2. Give it a try and tell me what you find out... :smile:
  • 2 weeks later...

Hmm, why i cant get this plugin to work?

Just put file into plugins/BF3 ?

Yes, ../plugins/BF3. Did you restart after installing the plugin?

In what aspect does it not work? Does it show up in the "Plugins" section? If so, have you enabled any of the voting in the plugin settings?

• 2 weeks later...

Originally Posted by krov7*:

For some reason I don't see any options to change the yell messages, nor do I see them at all when I start a vote. I have updated to v.1.20 and when I !votekick playername the messages still appear in chat, rather than a yell message. How can I fix this?

For some reason I don't see any options to change the yell messages, nor do I see them at all when I start a vote. I have updated to v.1.20 and when I !votekick playername the messages still appear in chat, rather than a yell message. How can I fix this?

I only set a few of the messages to yell such as the one you see in that image in the original post. I've been debating whether or not I should let you, the admin, take control of each individual message within this plugin.

Should I allow the ability to change each message along with the ability to set it to admin.say or admin.yell? There are 30 messages within this plugin, I believe. Some have multiple occurrences, too!

Seriously tell me if you guys want to be able to modify each message and decide whether it's admin.say or admin.yell... It'll take a while to go through each line of code with the messages and make the changes and have their corresponding variables replace certain strings of text. I'll definitely do it if you guys think it's worth it.

Also, should I allow the ability to have Vote Kick/Ban disabled when there are only X amount of players or lower on? Flyswamper requested this earlier in this thread and I'm just wondering if others would find this useful...

Originally Posted by Apex40000*:

Hi TimSad

To have the option to change the message from yell/say is a good idea I think personally.

But the ability to have a x amount of players that disable the voteban is a bad idea because if there is a cheater you might find that people start dropping like fly even before you have even been able to kick or ban him.... So the cheater might even be able to get the player count down low enough to not be kicked himself... unless you have a very low player count set…

Hope it makes sense and helps

Fmuk apex40000

Okay, I'll work on the custom messages throughout the week next week.

I'd still like people's opinions on being able to have Vote Kick/Ban disabled until a certain player count (number specified by you) is reached...

Originally Posted by Mandizzy*:

Yes to admin specified yell/say. I'd go even further to polish it because yell and message to individual players works:

- Player name suggestions and confirmation message, send to player only

- Error messages like missing reason etc. - player only

- Voting progress yell/say admin selected

- Keep player's info being vote kicked/banned in memory in case player leaves before conclusion of vote - maybe it already does it IDK

- Give admin the ability to cancelvote any vote in progress

- Admin specified cool down period before someone can initiate another vote to keep trolling to minimum

Yes also to admin specified minimum number of players before votes can be initiated - default should be 0 ?

Thanks

Originally Posted by TristXD*:

Hey, great plugin, its really good. I was hoping you could me work something out, I run it on my Procon layer on my PC but i want to get it onto my Multiplay Battlefield 3 server so my PC doesn't have to be online 24/7 to have this great plugin. Is there any way i could get it running on that server? I've got really simple things running on that server's config, like a message spammer, but is there a way to get this plugin's code running from the server?

Originally Posted by Repoman*:

Hey, great plugin, its really good. I was hoping you could me work something out, I run it on my Procon layer on my PC but i want to get it onto my Multiplay Battlefield 3 server so my PC doesn't have to be online 24/7 to have this great plugin. Is there any way i could get it running on that server? I've got really simple things running on that server's config, like a message spammer, but is there a way to get this plugin's code running from the server?

Sorry but you can't the plugins from the main battlefields 3 server. They have to be run from the procon server. You may want to look into renting a procon server.

Originally Posted by Shakal-hh*:

@ TimSad:

please post the "start message" also in the normal chat... i have changed the!yes / !no commands to /yes and /no.... but nobody know this when a vote is started

Originally Posted by johnny5*:

Okay, I'll work on the custom messages throughout the week next week.

I'd still like people's opinions on being able to have Vote Kick/Ban disabled until a certain player count (number specified by you) is reached...

Not needed.

You plugin is fine as it is. The player population know about these things & believe it or not, they dont abuse the votes.

Good plugin.

@ TimSad:

please post the "start message" also in the normal chat... i have changed the!yes / !no commands to /yes and /no.... but nobody know this when a vote is started

It uses your currently set yes and no in-game commands...

Code:

this.ExecuteCommand("procon.protected.send", "admin.yell", "The vote to ban " + banVictim + " has COMMENCED! Type " + yesCommand + " or " + noCommand + " in chat to vote!");

Originally Posted by Shakal-hh*:

It uses your currently set yes and no in-game commands...

Code:

this.ExecuteCommand("procon.protected.send", "admin.yell", "The vote to ban " + banVictim + " has COMMENCED! Type " + yesCommand + " or " + noCommand + " in chat to vote!");
Yes but i have changed the yes and no command...

If i vote Starts, the commands only be yelled.

The Most Players dont See this. So they dont know the right commands.

I would like to Post the Start Message also in the normal Chat :smile:

Yes but i have changed the yes and no command...

If i vote Starts, the commands only be yelled.

The Most Players dont See this. So they dont know the right commands.

I would like to Post the Start Message also in the normal Chat :smile:

Ahhh, I see what you are saying. I was thinking of the possibility of people missing the message but just decided to just keep it at yell. When I get around to the next update u can make it a say or yell with whatever length of seconds you want.