MULTIbalancer [1.1.6.0] 30-MAR-2015 + BFHL

Originally Posted by 397Seth*:

You are doing something right because your 32 slot server is full the whole round. :smile: If the server is full, autobalance is disabled and unstacking is not possible, since there is no room to swap players.

So unless the server is not full nothing can be done against unbalanced teams? I usually have a waiting list of 2-8 players.
* Restored post. It could be that the author is no longer active.
  • Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted by kcuestag*:

So unless the server is not full nothing can be done against unbalanced teams? I usually have a waiting list of 2-8 players.

That's correct. If both teams are full, you cannot swap players.

Originally Posted by PapaCharlie9*:

Whats the best settings to use in your opinion !

showthread....d-explanations*

Post #1 of this thread also explains that for first-time users, don't attempt unstacking. Leave it disabled.

What is wrong ?

http://i.imgur.com/E9k6Xdr.jpg

Info about balance but nothing ... Its look bad when one team is better and have more players .

Set Debug Level to 4 and then when you think teams are not balancing, post an excerpt from the log. The plugin log will tell you what is happening.

Originally Posted by dyn*:

How about another suggestion? This one will not scare the kids!

One issue that pops up is when there are multiple groups of individuals in the same server. For this example "groups" are potentially 2 or more individuals with the same clan tags, in the same squad. It would be great to have the scrambler take these groups into the equation and ensure the groups are on different teams at the end of the round during the scramble. This could still be tied in with the scramble by clan tag, hopefully, to also prevent one clan from all being on the same side.

What happens is that during the end of round scramble quite often these groups are put back on the same teams together. While they might not always be the best players during that round or have the highest SPM, it can be assumed that these groups are playing together most likely on voice comms. It's this extra coordination between players that can really cause a server to be imbalanced. This is particularly true on Rush where coordination is the name of the game. A single group can run wild whereas 2 groups on the same team dominate.

A potential solution is to use the Disperse Evenly list. A couple of issues with this: The clan tags must be known and that if you use 'groups' for the disperse evenly list, if a player with the clan tag of XYZ is in the same squad as ABC and they both are in different groups, they will never be able to play with each other... no matter how many players there are with XYZ or ABC are on the server.

So as you can see, I don't necessarily want to list 'bad clans' (though sometimes I do! :P), but rather just ensure that if there are multiple clans on the server that an attempt is made to put them on different teams during the scramble. Having 3 clans on the same team versus a side that has zero groups who have identified themselves as friends? Not going to be a fun time.

That, in my eyes, would really help with balance and would be an unobtrusive way to ensure balance without having to unstack / balance as aggressively during the round.

How about another suggestion? This one will not scare the kids!

One issue that pops up is when there are multiple groups of individuals in the same server. For this example "groups" are potentially 2 or more individuals with the same clan tags, in the same squad. It would be great to have the scrambler take these groups into the equation and ensure the groups are on different teams at the end of the round during the scramble. This could still be tied in with the scramble by clan tag, hopefully, to also prevent one clan from all being on the same side.

What happens is that during the end of round scramble quite often these groups are put back on the same teams together. While they might not always be the best players during that round or have the highest SPM, it can be assumed that these groups are playing together most likely on voice comms. It's this extra coordination between players that can really cause a server to be imbalanced. This is particularly true on Rush where coordination is the name of the game. A single group can run wild whereas 2 groups on the same team dominate.

A potential solution is to use the Disperse Evenly list. A couple of issues with this: The clan tags must be known and that if you use 'groups' for the disperse evenly list, if a player with the clan tag of XYZ is in the same squad as ABC and they both are in different groups, they will never be able to play with each other... no matter how many players there are with XYZ or ABC are on the server.

I'm pretty sure that already works. :smile:

And you are correct about the XYZ and ABC being in the same squad problem. The code is written first-come/first-served. A squad gets assigned a group and once that group is assigned, it doesn't change until some player leaves the squad, or I suppose if the order of players changes. Like if the order of players puts 2 ABC players first, then the squad is in group 1, but if the order of players changes and 2 XYZ players are first, the squad will be put in group 2, even if the contents of the squad did not change.

One additional problems. Groups always go to the same team. Once a squad is assigned to group 1 and say team 1 is US, that group will always end up on the US team. That's an overall limitation of Disperse Evenly List.

Give it a try and let me know how it works out. I only unit tested it, meaning, I don't think it's been used enough to find all the bugs.

I'm pretty sure that already works. :smile:

One additional problems. Groups always go to the same team.

Give it a try and let me know how it works out. I only unit tested it, meaning, I don't think it's been used enough to find all the bugs.

I don't think I've seen this behavior without using the disperse evenly list. Ideally the groups would be automatically identified by clan tags at the end of the round without having to list them anywhere. Is this the current functionality?

If there are 2 players with XYZ it would put them on Team 1.

If there are 3 players with ABC it would put them on Team 2.

If there are 3 players with 123 it would put them on Team 1.

If there are 4 players with 321 it would put them on Team 2.

... and so on. Potentially could take each squads ability (SPM, for example) to figure out which side they should go on so we don't put 2 clans of bad players on the same side.

This would ensure that if there are squads of players with the same clan tags, no matter what the tags are or without having to enter them anywhere, would not be on the same side as each other.

The dispersal groups assigning to one particular team is the reason that we haven't been able to use that feature on Rush. What ended up happening is that when we ran run with just one side and then a map switch, the same players were always attacking. It ended up not working out so well, as you can imagine. If we ran 2 maps it wouldn't be an issue. So this is definitely working as intended! :smile:

One other item that came up with using dispersal groups was that when we did list them like:

1: ABC

2: XYZ

This would be applied no matter how many players with each tag were actually on. Since ABC knew players from XYZ they could never player together. If there is just one player with each tag it typically isn't a huge deal. The problem came when there were 3 of each as it would develop into a completely unbalanced server. Being able to set a cut off, like disperse by # of clan players, could solve the issue. IE: Only apply disperse evenly group if there are X number of players from each side with tags listed.

With all that written could you clarify if the scrambler does currently take into account groups of players with the same clan tags and try to separate the different squads so they do not end up on the same side?

Thanks... again.

With all that written could you clarify if the scrambler does currently take into account groups of players with the same clan tags and try to separate the different squads so they do not end up on the same side?

I guess I should have narrowed down your original quote. I meant, Scrambler already takes into account the Disperse Evenly List (DEL) setting. Nothing is automatic without being set in a plugin setting.

That said, the Disperse Evenly By Clan Players per-mode setting does indeed work in-round (not during Scrambling) without setting up a list of clan tags ahead of time. It's based solely on population of tags. If the count of any one tag goes over the X setting, then they get split up between teams.

You are right that Rush is problematic for DEL. Nothing I can do about that without a major rewrite.

Most of what you want for Scrambling is in the code, it's just not connected together. The Disperse Evenly By Clan Players does the unlisted accounting just by counting the number of players of any tag. The Scrambler setting Divide By has a ClanTag setting, but then you have to specify one specific tag. What I would have to do is combine the Disperse Evenly By Clan Players logic with Divide By with a new setting, like ClanCount or something like that. Then you'd specify a number X and any clan with X or more players would be divided evenly between teams during scramble.

Is that a correct statement of the requested feature?

If the count of any one tag goes over the X setting, then they get split up between teams.

This is exactly what I'm seeing and is working as intended. Works well for the clan stackers who do not care about a fair game... they just want to pub stomp.

You are right that Rush is problematic for DEL. Nothing I can do about that without a major rewrite.

It's now just been set to 2 rounds per map and works fine.

A possible solution for Rush would be to stipulate that it will only scramble every 2 rounds, no matter if it's a new map or not. That would at least allow for only one side per map and then a switch to ensure that someone didn't end up on the same side over and over again. I believe Insane Balancer had this functionality, if that code base is still relevant or if it even makes sense to implement?

Is that a correct statement of the requested feature?

Not totally sure I'm adequately expressing the functionality as I did jump around a bit. My concern is not to break the individual clans apart from their squad mates, but to try and ensure multiple clans are not on the same side when doing a scramble. Will try to demonstrate with a more practical example.

During the scramble we need to look at all clan tags in the server. We will then find squads where multiple players are sharing the same clan tags. If there are X number of players with same clan tag (no matter what that clan tag is) we should consider them a group. We then find how many squads contain groups of clans on the server and start by putting one clan on Team 1 then find the next group and put their squad on Team 2.

Clans on the server that are equal to or more than than X number of players: ABC (1), 123, ZZZ, AAA, 666, HPC, ABC (2)

Scramble results:

Team 1: ABC (1), AAA, HPC

Team 2: 123, ZZZ, 666, ABC (2)

If we're able to take in to account how "good" each particular squad is during the scramble even better. This way if the squads that contain ABC (1) & 666 had the highest, for example, SPM for the last round that could be taken into account and placed them on different teams, should the math work.

The Divide By could also be changed a bit so that if we have multiple squads with the same clan tag those squads would be split apart like the current divide by clan tag is. Like in the example above ABC (1) and ABC (2) are different squads with the same clan tag and they're put on different teams.

With the current way it's setup we are seeing the scrambler put these groups together at the end of the round. While these groups might not always be at the top of the leader board, it can be assumed that teamwork and coordination will likely be higher than that of just a bunch of randoms. "Need spawns at C flag", "there is a tank in front of me... spawn with C4", "You drive, I'll repair the entire round" and the like...

So... yes... I think we are very close to being on the same page. lol_? :P

A possible solution for Rush would be to stipulate that it will only scramble every 2 rounds, no matter if it's a new map or not. That would at least allow for only one side per map and then a switch to ensure that someone didn't end up on the same side over and over again.

Duh! That's an obvious solution and I'm ashamed I didn't think of that. Much better than by new map. I'll put it on the backlog.

Not totally sure I'm adequately expressing the functionality as I did jump around a bit. My concern is not to break the individual clans apart from their squad mates, but to try and ensure multiple clans are not on the same side when doing a scramble. Will try to demonstrate with a more practical example.

During the scramble we need to look at all clan tags in the server. We will then find squads where multiple players are sharing the same clan tags. If there are X number of players with same clan tag (no matter what that clan tag is) we should consider them a group. We then find how many squads contain groups of clans on the server and start by putting one clan on Team 1 then find the next group and put their squad on Team 2.

Clans on the server that are equal to or more than than X number of players: ABC (1), 123, ZZZ, AAA, 666, HPC, ABC (2)

Scramble results:

Team 1: ABC (1), AAA, HPC

Team 2: 123, ZZZ, 666, ABC (2)

If we're able to take in to account how "good" each particular squad is during the scramble even better. This way if the squads that contain ABC (1) & 666 had the highest, for example, SPM for the last round that could be taken into account and placed them on different teams, should the math work.

The Divide By could also be changed a bit so that if we have multiple squads with the same clan tag those squads would be split apart like the current divide by clan tag is. Like in the example above ABC (1) and ABC (2) are different squads with the same clan tag and they're put on different teams.

With the current way it's setup we are seeing the scrambler put these groups together at the end of the round. While these groups might not always be at the top of the leader board, it can be assumed that teamwork and coordination will likely be higher than that of just a bunch of randoms. "Need spawns at C flag", "there is a tank in front of me... spawn with C4", "You drive, I'll repair the entire round" and the like...

So... yes... I think we are very close to being on the same page. lol_? :P

Valiant effort, but unfortunately I'm more confused than ever. :sad:

The confusion stems from this sentence:

"We then find how many squads contain groups of clans on the server and start by putting one clan on Team 1 then find the next group and put their squad on Team 2."

I don't understand what "group" means in this context. Does "groups of clans" mean "groups of players with the same tag"?

Let's try again, only this time, use this example, which uses terminology straight out of my code, so at least I won't misunderstand. :smile:

At end of round we have squads like this, we have Keep Squads Together enabled, and assume ABC and XYZ clans have X or more players:

Team 1

Alpha1: No two players have the same clan tags

Bravo1: Five ABC tags

Charlie1: Three ABC tags, two single tags

Delta1: Two ABC tags, two single tags

Echo1: Four XYZ tags, one non tagged

Foxtrot1: No two players have the same clan tags

Team 2

Alpha2: One player has XYZ, the rest are non tagged (note that this squad is not marked XYZ, requires at least 2 players)

Bravo2: No two players have the same clan tags

Charlie2: Two ABC and three XYZ

Delta2: Two ABC and two XYZ (*SEE BELOW)

Echo2: Five XYZ tags

Foxtrot2: No two players have the same clan tags

Now given all that, show me a scramble that works the way you are requesting. Use this notation (random example):

New team 1: Alpha1, Bravo2, Charlie1, Delta2, Echo1, Foxtrot2

New team 2: Alpha2, Bravo1, Charlie2, Delta1, Echo2, Foxtrot1

*SEE BELOW

I don't know what to do if a squad has equal numbers of clan players. It doesn't happen often, but since the squad could be marked either way, what should happen? Toss a coin? Split them up? Splitting makes the most sense, I think.

Sorry for the confusion. Sometimes articulating my point doesn't come across as well as I'd like. It makes perfect sense in my head but sharing that thought can cause confusion.

"We then find how many squads contain groups of clans on the server and start by putting one clan on Team 1 then find the next group and put their squad on Team 2."

I don't understand what "group" means in this context. Does "groups of clans" mean "groups of players with the same tag"?

Groups of clans should probably be worded:

We want to know which clans (as set by the clan tag) are in which squads. A 'group' in the line above means a 'group of players in the same squad, using the same clan tag'.

Your example is a bit confusing because it contains multiple squads with ABC clan mates in it.

My thought process for splitting up the squads was to first find all of the squads which contain the majority of players sharing the same clan tag and ensure that their squads are not all on the same team. In this example, clan ABC is the biggest clan on the server. We do not want to put all ABC squads on the same side so let's try and ensure that their squads are facing each other and are on different teams. If we can do 2 squads vs 3 of ABC.. perfect!

Once we've got clan ABC split up lets go down the list and ensure that if there are other squads with multiple clan members in it they are put on different sides. In your given example of the starting squads it will not be 100% perfect as there will not always be the exact same number of squads or might be be something like Charlie2 screwing us up completely. Damn you Charlie2!

Your example does bring up an interesting situation... maybe we take squad membership into account but actually look at all clan tags and then try (with or w/out keeping squads together) to ensure that if there are 14 ABC clan members that we would try as hard as possible to get 7 ABC on Team 1 and 7 ABC on Team 2.

The idea behind this scramble is to prevent multiple clans (Clans / groups = X number of players with the same clan tag in the same squad) from ending up on the same side after a scramble. You do demonstrate that will likely not be possible and is more difficult to exactly lay out how we would want it to scramble in all circumstances.

To rearrange the teams:

New Team 1: Bravo1, Delta2, Delta1, Echo1, Alpha2, Alpha1,

New Team 2: Charlie1, Charlie2, Echo2, Bravo2, Foxtrot1, Foxtrot2

Now that I'm looking at this it does seem that the teams would just be reversed. This example does not work nearly as well because we have many players with the same clan tags.

Usually we do not see that many players from one clan in the server at one time, unless they're all from my own group (to ensure that all of my group's members do NOT end up on the same team we currently use DIVIDE BY to list our group's clan tag). The ones that do show up with multiple squads for pub stomping have been added to the 'shit' list in Disperse Evenly and will also then be split up when clan players reaches it's set value. Once they see that they can't stomp they usually just visit an official server.

It's been my experience that we'll see 1 or 2 very strong different clans in the server and then that's it. So 3 to 5 members of clan AAA and 3 to 5 members of clan ZZZ. We do not want to put both clan AAA and ZZZ on the same team together after the scramble... that's a source of current unbalanced games that seems to be occurring. Having too many organized players on one side.

As for splitting up squad which contains multiple clan-tagged members that is an interesting problem as well. I can foresee individuals eventually figuring out how the scramble works so that they could eventually rig it so that they're split among squads evenly or with other friends. But there is some point that it gets to if someone is going to put that much work into staying and stacking then nothing that is programed will be able totally catch them without being too aggressive.

It would be interesting if it were possible to take several factors into consideration when scrambling:

Clan tags (to try and put clan AAA on one team and then ZZZ on the other.. but then also ensure AAA is not always on team 1)

The scramble logic (how well a particular squad is using settings currently available - Round SPM - as an example).

You were correct all those months ago when you started working on this that Scrambling is quite complicated. If I recall correctly you had mentioned that the small scrambling code turned into a massive number of lines... Now I see why.

To rearrange the teams:

New Team 1: Bravo1, Delta2, Delta1, Echo1, Alpha2, Alpha1,

New Team 2: Charlie1, Charlie2, Echo2, Bravo2, Foxtrot1, Foxtrot2

Now that I'm looking at this it does seem that the teams would just be reversed. This example does not work nearly as well because we have many players with the same clan tags.

I crammed in every possible case I could think of, so yeah, it's not typical. Let's do one more that is more typical, just to be sure we are on the same page.

Team 1

Alpha1: Four ABC tags, one non tagged

Bravo1: Two ABC tags, three non tagged

Charlie1: Two XYZ tags, three single tags

Delta1: No two players have the same clan tags

Echo1: No two players have the same clan tags

Team 2

Alpha2: One player has XYZ, the rest are non tagged (note that this squad is not marked XYZ, requires at least 2 players)

Charlie2: No two players have the same clan tags

Delta2: No two players have the same clan tags

Echo2: No two players have the same clan tags

What's the ideal scramble for that? Let's also say that the squads, by coincidence, are currently ordered in descending strength, i.e., Alpha2 has higher SPM than Bravo2, Bravo2 higher than Charlie2, etc.

Are these settings still relevant for BF4, 64 players and 2 Commander 1200 Tickets (Conquest Large)

showthread....ll=1#post72963*

Yes, though some new settings have been added that are not included in that list. But you can just leave them default or make your own choice about them. For example, the new Enable Low Population Adjustments is not applicable if your server is always full, so you can ignore it.

Hi PapaCharlie9,

Will it work if i add platoon tag into the whitelist?

If you mean, will all players wearing the tag be excluded from all plugin actions if you just put the tag (not individual player names) in the whitelist, the answer is yes.
  • 2 weeks later...

I crammed in every possible case I could think of, so yeah, it's not typical. Let's do one more that is more typical, just to be sure we are on the same page.

Team 1

Alpha1: Four ABC tags, one non tagged

Bravo1: Two ABC tags, three non tagged

Charlie1: Two XYZ tags, three single tags

Delta1: No two players have the same clan tags

Echo1: No two players have the same clan tags

Team 2

Charlie2: No two players have the same clan tags

Delta2: No two players have the same clan tags

Echo2: No two players have the same clan tags

What's the ideal scramble for that? Let's also say that the squads, by coincidence, are currently ordered in descending strength, i.e., Alpha2 has higher SPM than Bravo2, Bravo2 higher than Charlie2, etc.

I have asked a couple of other individuals about the best way to accomplish what the original goal was: put different clans on separate teams, and there were many different variables that went into this.

For this example my original thought would be to do:

Team 1:

Alpha1

Team 2:

Bravo1

Charlie1

We've now separated the two ABC squads and have the two additional XYZ clan members on the same team as the weaker 2 ABC players.

The usual cases that we're seeing now are that there will be 1 to 3 'clan squads' in the server. Balance is usually not harmed too much if there are only 2 squads of 2 different clan players (so 4 players - 2 with ABC and 2 with XYZ). I say usually because different servers see different groups frequent them. What usually causes the balance issue is when there are 3-5 clan players from ABC and then 3-5 clan players from XYZ. It's when this situation comes up that we do not want to put them together on the same team. 6 - 10 team players on the same team is no good when the other side has zero.

There will likely not ever be a this is what's needed exactly every time. Maybe the scramble could make an evaluation as to how strong the squads were last round, player rank, or the number of players wearing that clan tag. If there are 3+ players with the same clan tag, and they are identified as strong, make the scramble weighted either more in favor of the weaker team and then/or try to ensure that other competing clans are put on the other side.

Then throw in when we have a clans of snipers on Rush not attacking just sitting back taking long shots. They'll all have a high KDR, possibly high SPM, but will contribute very little to their team. In the above metric these players would be weighted strongly.

So I can identify an issue that seems to hurt balance. The issue is how to properly try and correct that perceived issue.

So I can identify an issue that seems to hurt balance. The issue is how to properly try and correct that perceived issue.

Yes, that is the core problem. I don't have any brilliant ideas about that, though.

I could at least start with this idea that I mentioned earlier:

What I would have to do is combine the Disperse Evenly By Clan Players logic with Divide By with a new setting, like ClanCount or something like that. Then you'd specify a number X and any clan with X or more players would be divided evenly between teams during scramble.

To that, I could add yet another setting, ClanBalance, that detects if there are 3+ players in one clan AND 3+ players in another clan and try to balance their squads so it ends up with ABC on one side and XYZ on the other.

Originally Posted by kcuestag*:

Yes, that is the core problem. I don't have any brilliant ideas about that, though.

I could at least start with this idea that I mentioned earlier:

To that, I could add yet another setting, ClanBalance, that detects if there are 3+ players in one clan AND 3+ players in another clan and try to balance their squads so it ends up with ABC on one side and XYZ on the other.

I like that idea, so teams are not overstacked with too many clans on one side and none on the other.

Originally Posted by naurel*:

Sorry just a quick question I've not seen the anwser and I cannot remember if I already post bout it.

I'd like the plugin to balance always and very fast the last join player to always have the same number of players in each team, killing him if the previous last player leave and balance immediatly. (And keeping the Disperse Event list active at the same time). I'm willing to disable the scrambler and everything else since it wont work togeither unless at the end of a round. How can I manage to do so ?

Sorry just a quick question I've not seen the anwser and I cannot remember if I already post bout it.

I'd like the plugin to balance always and very fast the last join player to always have the same number of players in each team, killing him if the previous last player leave and balance immediatly. (And keeping the Disperse Event list active at the same time). I'm willing to disable the scrambler and everything else since it wont work togeither unless at the end of a round. How can I manage to do so ?

1 - Settings:

Unlimited Team Switching During First Minutes Of Round: 0

Reassign New Players: True

Enable Admin Kill For Fast Balance: True

3 - Round Phase and Population Settings

(Set all Balance Speeds to Fast)

6 - Unswitcher:

(Set all settings to Always, and Enable Immediate Unswitch to True)

8 - Settings for (your mode)

Only Move Weak Players: False

Enable Disperse Evenly List: True

To forbid 2 specific Team with tags to play togeither I just have to put the tag in the disperse event list ? Wouldn't it be count as a player name ?

Suppose you have two clans, ABC tag and XYZ tag.

If you just put

ABC

in the Disperse Evenly List and enable it, the plugin will make sure that ABC players are balanced evenly between teams. So if there are 6 ABC players, 3 ABC will be on team 1 and 3 ABC will be on team 2.

If you now add XYZ on a separate line:

ABC

XYZ

the same thing will happen, the XYZ players will be split evenly between teams. So if you have 6 ABC players and 4 XYZ players in the server, team 1 will have 3 ABC and 2 XYZ, and team 2 will have 3 ABC and 2 XYZ.

What it sounds like you want to do is make sure ABC and XYZ are never on the same team. To do that, you use dispersal groups. Add the number "1" or "2" to the front of the line. Everything after the 1 will go in team 1, everything after the 2 will go in team 2.

1 ABC

2 XYZ

Now if you have 6 ABC and 4 XYZ on the server, team 1 will have 6 ABC and team 2 will have 4 XYZ.

Yes, you can just use tags. You can also use player names or EA GUIDs. If you use a tag, it will match all players with that tag.

Originally Posted by Mamba334*:

"This plugin will not work with BF4 OFFICIAL MODE servers."

What does this mean? Official Mode? I have a Ranked serevr, Normal Preset. Will this work? I have tried it and the teams just don't balance at all. What am I missing guys? Do I use this oen or TrueBalancer?

"This plugin will not work with BF4 OFFICIAL MODE servers."

What does this mean? Official Mode? I have a Ranked serevr, Normal Preset. Will this work? I have tried it and the teams just don't balance at all. What am I missing guys? Do I use this oen or TrueBalancer?

For server setup, you choose between Ranked and Official (and Unranked and Private). If you have Ranked, it should work fine.

Post your settings in screenshots. Maybe you don't have the right settings enabled?