Notify Me! - Notifications and alerts (v1.0.0.2)

ImportBot

Originally Posted by MorpheusX(AUT)*:

Sending emails works fine for me.

Which settings do you use?

Which types of mailserver-connection (SSL on/off, using Gmail)?

As already mentioned, I was not able to use the standard Gmail-SMTP servers (smtp.googlemail.com Port 465 with SSL) since the .NET SMTP Client seems sometimes not to work properly with SSL-Connections.

If you're using SSL: can you try using a non-SSL server and see if that works?

* Restored post. It could be that the author is no longer active.

Originally Posted by capei*:

Same - still doesn't work for me either.

What email providers are you all using? I haven't been able to download and try this yet, but I use Gmail and am wondering if anyone has been successful with getting Gmail to work.

could you give me an example of this please ?

Uuuuuuh, I don't know, my own mail-server provides both SSL and non-SSL access, maybe your provider (for test-purposes maybe even the one of your private email address for a ISP_) also provides an "older" access?

EDIT: another thing that might be worth trying:

If you're using Gmail, please change the port to 587. Maybe, this will work for you.

OK. So I tested everything and here's the results.

Using port 587 or 465 does not work; I do receive an error saying that there was an "authentication error" (even though the credentials are correct). I did a Google Search and it might have something to do with Mono (under Linux). I imported the certificates and tried again. Then every time an admin was called, the Layer crashed.

I changed everything to use aspmx.l.google.com, port 25 and now emails are sent successfully, though they are sadly throw into my Spam inbox. Was hoping to have this sent to my normal inbox, as my phone makes noise when I get new email and would really be useful for this plugin. But I suppose this will have to do for now.

Hope this helps. :smile:

EDIT: For reference, I'm running everything under an Ubuntu 64-bit server with Mono. Results could change by varying server environments. :ohmy:

Using port 587 or 465 does not work; I do receive an error saying that there was an "authentication error" (even though the credentials are correct). I did a Google Search and it might have something to do with Mono (under Linux). I imported the certificates and tried again. Then every time an admin was called, the Layer crashed.

Do you use two-factor authentication for your Google account by any chance?

I had the same problem when testing it and figured I had to create an application-specific password since I'm using 2FA and that doesn't work with the SMTP client :biggrin:

OK. So I tested everything and here's the results.

I changed everything to use aspmx.l.google.com, port 25 and now emails are sent successfully, though they are sadly throw into my Spam inbox. Was hoping to have this sent to my normal inbox, as my phone makes noise when I get new email and would really be useful for this plugin. But I suppose this will have to do for now.

Hope this helps. :smile:

EDIT: For reference, I'm running everything under an Ubuntu 64-bit server with Mono. Results could change by varying server environments. :ohmy:

Not using 2-step verification. :smile:

Checked again with previous settings and it always crashes the layer. :/

Originally Posted by DHGreenday*:

To add I've been using procon email notifier plug in as it has server status reports every user defined time so I could see how they were going. The settings are the same but works fine. I also have it set to use ssl.

Edit: maybe the 2 plugins are interfering with each other?

The "Procon Email Notifier" plugin is working fine for you with Gmail and SSL, but NotifyMe is not?

It actually uses quite the same code, although I have just added a timeout so sending emails don't hog up the whole plugin. If you wanted, you could go ahead and open the CNotifyMe.inc file (in your Plugins) folder, navigate to line 751 and change these three lines

Code:

smtp.Timeout = 10000;smtp.DeliveryMethod = SmtpDeliveryMethod.Network;
smtp.UseDefaultCredentials = false;
to this

Code:

//smtp.Timeout = 10000;smtp.DeliveryMethod = SmtpDeliveryMethod.Network;
//smtp.UseDefaultCredentials = false;
This will basically disable the Timeout for sending and remove the DefaultCredential property (which shouldn't influence it at all, but that's one of the few things that differ between the plugins.

Let me know if that changes anything for you.

Originally Posted by IAF-SDS*:

Morpheus, thanks for the fix. I just tested it and it works great now

I think you're seeing people still having an issue because your 1.0.0.2 download has not been updated itself.

The way I was able to get the correct updated version was to go to your Github page directly at https://github.com/MorpheusXAUT/Noti.CNotifyMe.inc and copy all of the updated code, then replacing the old code with the new update directly into the CNotifyMe.inc file.

There's going to be confusion if you leave the 1.0.0.2 zip download not updated itself.

Thanks again Morpheus.

Same here....never got an error, which, I actually would have preferred to have gotten an error since it would have made debugging easier.

Anyhow, using standard (Non-SSL) works for GMail users at the moment; hopefully something can be done in the future to fix it for SSL.

Originally Posted by SmackDown*:

I think you're seeing people still having an issue because your 1.0.0.2 download has not been updated itself.

The way I was able to get the correct updated version was to go to your Github page directly at https://github.com/MorpheusXAUT/Noti.CNotifyMe.inc and copy all of the updated code, then replacing the old code with the new update directly into the CNotifyMe.inc file.

There's going to be confusion if you leave the 1.0.0.2 zip download not updated itself.

Thanks again Morpheus.

This fixed it for me, thank you for the information. You saved me a lot of headache trying to figure out why it stopped sending email.

Thanks again Morpheus.

Hm, weird, GitHub should have updated the zip itself. I'll see if I can fix this.

Procon email notifier seems to override notify me. I don't know why. It works with the update using ssl as long as procon email notifier isn't turned on. But then the 2 line changes you posted might fix that.

Can I make suggestions on extra feature ideas here?

Procon email notifier seems to override notify me. I don't know why. It works with the update using ssl as long as procon email notifier isn't turned on. But then the 2 line changes you posted might fix that.

Huh, weird. I couldn't think of any reason why those plugins would mess with each other.

Did you actually try and change the two lines I've posted? Or did you just run 1.0.0.2 without the email notifier to get it working?

Can I make suggestions on extra feature ideas here?

I prefer GitHub issues, however if you're not registered there (or don't want to bother registering), go ahead and post them here :smile:

i use version 1.0.0.0 and no have problems

Does sending via SSL work fine for you with 1.0.0.0?

If you haven't tried yet: could you create a copy/backup and try 1.0.0.2 and see if that also works fine for you?

I haven't changed those 2 lines yet so it maybe the cause. I will try it and test it later and let you know Thanks for the help there.

I will post here my ideas.

I'm trying to make it possible that I can admin the server just by being notified by email so I don't have to keep watching or review the chat etc for stuff that needs admin intervention.

I will list what would be helpful and point out which one was good with your plugin.

1, An option to disable buzzwords from being highlighted in chat but instead silently sent to an email address. For example, cancer. If I get an immediate email telling me that someone has said this word then I can go and check in what context the word was used so that I can action if necessary.

2, An email silently sent if a player is spamming the chat with the same word for example camper, so that I can intervene accordingly as the player spamming the same thing over and over may annoy other players. A list of words separate to the buzzwords that is only triggered on a set multiples of times.

3, You could have server reports added to your plugin like procon email notifier with an option to use another email address separate from the one that is sent when someone types !admin.

Ok so basically 1, for definite, 2, may already have a plugin that does things automatically but could be nice to have the opportunity to intervene personally, 3, If procon email notifier does it and there is no interference then it probably is not needed.

nope sorry it dont work even with the 2 lines commented out :sad:

Hmm okay, I kind of expected it not to work with those lines disabled, that would have been very weird. From the looks of it, this is caused by issues with the .NET implementation and thus is out of reach for me to fix :-\

1, An option to disable buzzwords from being highlighted in chat but instead silently sent to an email address. For example, cancer. If I get an immediate email telling me that someone has said this word then I can go and check in what context the word was used so that I can action if necessary.

Hm, that should be doable. Will require a few changes though, but I have something planned anyways, which will probably be implemented around end of January.

2, An email silently sent if a player is spamming the chat with the same word for example camper, so that I can intervene accordingly as the player spamming the same thing over and over may annoy other players. A list of words separate to the buzzwords that is only triggered on a set multiples of times.

Should also be doable, but will also take a bit more time.

3, You could have server reports added to your plugin like procon email notifier with an option to use another email address separate from the one that is sent when someone types !admin.

That's kind of out of the plugin's scope since the main functionality was meant to be notifying admins about player requests.

Huh, weird. I couldn't think of any reason why those plugins would mess with each other.

Did you actually try and change the two lines I've posted? Or did you just run 1.0.0.2 without the email notifier to get it working

This is what the 2 lines look like in my notepad++ after adding the // in normal notepad does that look right?

751 //smtp.Timeout = 10000;

752 smtp.DeliveryMethod = SmtpDeliveryMethod.Network;

753 //smtp.UseDefaultCredentials = false;

754 smtp.Credentials = new NetworkCredential(this.strSMTPUser, this.strSMTPPassword);

755 smtp.Send(email);

This is what the 2 lines look like in my notepad++ after adding the // in normal notepad does that look right?

751 //smtp.Timeout = 10000;

752 smtp.DeliveryMethod = SmtpDeliveryMethod.Network;

753 //smtp.UseDefaultCredentials = false;

754 smtp.Credentials = new NetworkCredential(this.strSMTPUser, this.strSMTPPassword);

755 smtp.Send(email);

Yup, should be fine.

However, it seems like this didn't help :sad:

Yup, should be fine.

However, it seems like this didn't help :sad:

Its just weird that I can't seem to use notify me in conjuction with procon email notifier because procon email notifier seems to block notify me. Notify me works when email notifier is disabled but will be overridden when its switched on again. So weird.