Adaptive Server Size (1.3.5.3 - 06/14/15)

ColColonCleaner

Originally Posted by EBassie*:

Nevermind, I just realised :smile:

28 players on the server according to procon, but just 16 ingame. I never really associated that blackscreen with the playercount being higher than the roundstart playercount :biggrin:

Looking forward to the next release. Servers are getting fuller much faster, thanks to "epic" quickmatch

I think there is an issue with Procon showing less players than there are players in the server according to Battlelog.

When players join, they sometimes disappear in Procon never to be seen again :smile:

Even no 'disconnect event'.

But according to battlelog this player is still on the server. This can have major impact on how this plugin works, so I'm kinda cautious using it at the moment, as battlelog says the server is full, but according to Procon it isnt.

Some guy on the multiplay.co.uk forums said this may be related to the Procon with TrueBalancer plugin, but I don't think that's the issue. Without the plugin running I still have these issues.

* Restored post. It could be that the author is no longer active.
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Originally Posted by Bobbeh*:

Are you sure about this? Is the black screen issue related to the max slots count being altered? I think it's just a bug in the game / battlelog.

I've been testing this, starting a round at 8 players and changing it manually to 16 I could still join as 10th player without having a black screen.

Or do I understand it wrong? :smile:

I believe it has something to do with the predefined player slots. (8/16/24/32/64)

When I use a other number then the one's above, I believe it will set it to the closest one.

So starting a round with 20 slots allows you to max it up to 24.

Hope I make any sense! :tongue:

Originally Posted by Phil_K*:

Hi.

I think there is an issue with Procon showing less players than there are players in the server according to Battlelog.

It depends on how you check the numbers. :ohmy:

Battlelog counts not only what is given back by an serverInfo and "listPlayers all" which, without the admin. prefix can be used without authentication. Procons playerlist tab gets updated on every serverInfo. It doesn't count or show onJoins as this is only the first of three stages befor a player is really. Furthermore to trigger only on onJoin is not save because you can fake it.

Battlelog also has a small delay. If someone joins and you see an onJoin on the console and the computed PB_guid he can drop. It takes a while between the disconnection message and the update on player count battlelog does.

Greets

Phil.

Originally Posted by combatwombat*:

Restarts will no longer be necessary with the next version, since all rounds will be started with the maximum server size, then dynamically changed.

Any thoughts on when that might be? I am just trying to decide whether to trial it now or wait for the next version when the re-starts won't be an issue?

Originally Posted by EBassie*:

Any thoughts on when that might be? I am just trying to decide whether to trial it now or wait for the next version when the re-starts won't be an issue?

I'm waiting for the next version, disabled the plugin for now :smile:

Originally Posted by jfc12468-gmail-com*:

i cant install this one on procon layer, any idea why?

Do you have FTP access to the parent layer?

Thats the easiest way, upload files to correct folders and restart parent layer.

It should show up in parent layer control> plugins section.

Originally Posted by Haemogod*:

Description

This plug-in is intended to change the server size adaptively, based upon the number of players currently on the server.

Optionally, it will also automatically set vars.roundStartPlayerCount and vars.roundRestartPlayerCount to the values required for QuickMatch once the server has exceeded these values. It will then change them back to your specified defaults as the server empties.

Given that quick match still works with both variables set to 1 and 0, why is this function mentioned here?

Btw, if i am wrong, the information that this is true came to me through a mpuk employee in direct contact with dice.

Originally Posted by falcontx*:

Given that quick match still works with both variables set to 1 and 0, why is this function mentioned here?

Btw, if i am wrong, the information that this is true came to me through a mpuk employee in direct contact with dice.

When I was developing the plugin, I was under the assumption that setting the variables to 8/4 was a requirement, based upon the documentation provided by Phil_K. If that's not the case, you don't have to use this feature.

The latest version is up.

The max server size is set before each level is loaded, in order to provide dynamic changes without restarting. The various restart options were removed, since they are no longer necessary. The "Size for X players" options are now saved and restored properly.

This should address all of the latest concerns. As always, let me know if something doesn't work right.

Originally Posted by Phil_K*:

When I was developing the plugin, I was under the assumption that setting the variables to 8/4 was a requirement, based upon the documentation provided by Phil_K. If that's not the case, you don't have to use this feature.

These values are no hard requirement. But they are an advice, therefor Dice gives them out not only in the documentation which I linked. You never know if it becomes a real requirement in the future.

But at the moment even with roundRestartPlayerCount 0 the server is used for QM.

Originally Posted by PBSGTS*:

If I'm not mistaken, I believe changing the default 8/4 to anything else, requires quickjoiners to have the custom filter set, even though changing that does not show your server as custom.

All this stuff isn't really clear right now, I'm just repeating is what I've heard said.

Hi, my procon window flickers when this plugin is enabled, and stops when disabled, normally just around the top of the window. Is there a delay missing somewhere? Thumbs up for getting this out, and love the selection of the players count system.

Is there a way to make the plugin execute "vars.maxPlayers 64" when someone closes the plugin?

Originally Posted by dagreek*:

A few bugs. When running a 32 slot TDM it only shows 24 slots in procon so it spams changing to 32 slot max which bugs procon out. The same thing when running Rush on 64 slots which only shows 32. Should have an option where it checks to see if vars.maxplayers 32 received an ok response. if it did it should stop repeatedly trying. Besides that it works wonders.

Hi, my procon window flickers when this plugin is enabled, and stops when disabled, normally just around the top of the window. Is there any delay between server count checks? Thumbs up for getting this out, and love the selection of the players count system.

Is there a way to make the plugin execute "vars.maxPlayers 64" when someone closes the plugin?

It shouldn't flicker. It only checks when serverInfo is called, which is usually around every 10-15 seconds. Flashing may indicate a problem, in which case you should enable debug output to see if something is awry.

Yes, that's a good idea. I'll add it in the next version.

Originally Posted by powerbits*:

Do you have FTP access to the parent layer?

Thats the easiest way, upload files to correct folders and restart parent layer.

It should show up in parent layer control> plugins section.

yes i do, its strange that he does not want to install this one , but does some others

"The player count is checked" - from description.

I have been using this method manually for 10 days now, always fills server within 90 min. However, does the plugin check players in the server or players supposedly on the server in battle log. The reason i ask is because of this:

Say there are 8 ppl in the server, and i have set it to increase when there are 8 to 12, but in battlelog it shows as 12/12 - meaning no one else can join, frequently over the time i have been doing this manually, i have found that even though there are only 8 ppl ingame, i can increase the 12/12 to 16/16 and sometimes 20/20 and those people eventually make it in game, but when it is like that, many ppl will be turned away or rather the server will be ineligible for quickjoin on account of being full.

Long story short, is the number which is checked, the players ingame and able to spawn, or player showing in battle log?

It has been my experience to ignore whatever the ingame playercount says when doing this manually and go only by what battle log says(up until 32). - Occasionally this requires dropping back, but worth it in the long run as battlelog sees free spaces more often.

Long story short, is the number which is checked, the players ingame and able to spawn, or player showing in battle log?

The number in Battlelog includes "reserved slots" that are set aside as soon as someone clicks the "Join server" button. The number in PRoCon only includes players who have launched the game and are at the loading screen. The plugin only has the ability to check the latter, as the server only reports players to PRoCon once they reach the loading screen.

A few bugs. When running a 32 slot TDM it only shows 24 slots in procon so it spams changing to 32 slot max which bugs procon out. The same thing when running Rush on 64 slots which only shows 32. Should have an option where it checks to see if vars.maxplayers 32 received an ok response. if it did it should stop repeatedly trying. Besides that it works wonders.

Confirmed. When PRoCon issues a command to the server, it does not receive the response, so this will have to be dealt with differently. I may just need to hard-code the limits for each game mode.

The number in Battlelog includes "reserved slots" that are set aside as soon as someone clicks the "Join server" button.

Thats how i should have phrased it, as i did know that, but still informative to those who my post was unclear to. Soz :smile:

Its a shame, i will try your plugin once my server empties out, eek first time its not been been empty overnight last night.

Originally Posted by DeadWalking*:

I have had zero luck with this plugin or trying to do it manually. Not sure if we are doing it wrong as far round changes after setting maxplayers and such, or if it is due to some of our other server settings effecting the Quick Match joins, since we run it as HardCore.

Appreciate the time spent on the plugin hope it keeps working for others.

Originally Posted by PBSGTS*:

I have had zero luck with this plugin or trying to do it manually. Not sure if we are doing it wrong as far round changes after setting maxplayers and such, or if it is due to some of our other server settings effecting the Quick Match joins, since we run it as HardCore.

Appreciate the time spent on the plugin hope it keeps working for others.

Yeah, I have trouble filling up my HC server too. This plugin works fine on my normal server though, perhaps HC just isn't as popular.

I actually loved HC in BFBC2, I don't really enjoy it in BF3 though.

Originally Posted by dagreek*:

Just set something like.

If gamemode == TDM&vars.maxpplayers >24

Have it check for a response whenever it sets maxplayers. If u try setting it to 64 and its a 32 slot it will say incorrect or unable or some shit. If it responds with ok, then it should send an ignore to the current player count.

Same goes for rush being greater than 32.